One of the best things about my Thermomix is that I can make my own nut flours. Baking without refined white flour and sugar is something I enjoy doing and I have found 2 recipes, that when paired together, make for one rich delicious cake! I found the recipe for the almond flour chocolate cake on the Thermomix Recipe Community site and the Gooey Chocolate Ganache at Quirky Cooking. I have made this cake many times, served it with and without the ganache, and it is perfectly rich every time. I usually serve it with whipped cream, but you could also use whipped coconut cream if you are dairy adverse.
Rich Chocolate Almond Cake
- 270 g Dates (pitted)
- 125 g Boiling water
- 1/2 teaspoon Bi-carbonate of Soda
- 250 g almonds
- 3 eggs
- 60 g coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- 50 g cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- pinch salt
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees C. Grease and line a 20 cm round cake pan (i used a bundt pan with a hole in the middle) Mix dates and bi-carb soda in boiling water and leave to soak for a few minutes while you do the next step.
- Grind almonds for 10 seconds, speed 9. Set aside.
- Put dates, water and bi-carb into mixing bowl, and blend for 30 seconds, speed 6. You may need to stop and scrape the sides a couple of times, and maybe reduce the speed a little after the first few seconds if necessary.
- Add eggs, oil, vanilla essence and blend for 20 seconds, speed 6. Scrape down bowl.
- Add almonds, baking powder, cocoa and salt and mix for 20 seconds, speed 6. Scrape down bowl and repeat.
- Pour into prepared cake tin and bake at 180 degrees for 30 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean. Leave until cool before turning onto a serving plate. I covered mine with chocolate ganache (see recipe below) and sprinkled it with shredded coconut. You could also use cacao powder.
- Serve with whipped cream and raspberry coulis.
*please note the numbers on the photos do not correspond with the instructions
Gooey Chocolate Ganache
- 100g raw cashews (soak in water for one hour then drain)
- 3 fresh pitted dates
- 20g raw cacao powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 20g pure maple syrup
- 20g filtered water
- Grind cashews for 10 seconds, speed 9, until fine.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix at speed 6 for 30 seconds, scrape down, add a little more water if needed, and mix another 30 seconds until smooth.